See my other free Harry Potter tutorials
What you need
- letter sized card stock (white or black)
- letter sized paper
- little piece of wire for candle wick (jewelry wire or piece of paper clip)
- little gold or silver ring (jewelry item, you could also bend a paper clip into a small circle)
- black thread and needle
- tooth pick
- Elmer's glue and optional Super glue (Super glue for adults only !!!)
- hot glue gun
- acrylic paint (white, black, yellow and orange)
- acrylic sealer
- hard clear plastic (from a tool or toy wrapper, the ones that you need a knife for to open)
- permanent black marker
How to make the lantern
1. Download pattern here
Remember to set scaling to none
For Home use only, this is copyrighted by me, Read Creations !!!
2. Cut the 3 pieces along the solid black lines and fold along the dotted lines.
(I used a metal ruler to get sharp, straight folds)
The picture below has solid lines where it got folded, this was my hand drawn template)
3. If you used white card stock paint body and cap on both sides with black acrylic paint. Let dry
4. Seal the outside of the lantern body and the outside of the lantern top with acrylic sealer. Let
5. Take the hard clear plastic and cut 4 rectangles 1" x 1 1/4"
6. Glue on the inside into each window one of the clear plastic rectangles. Let glue dry.
7. On inside draw a cross in each window with permanent marker
8. Glue bottom onto flaps. Let glue dry.
9. Glue the flap on the lantern cover to the side indicated to form a pyramid. Let glue dry.
10. Take the ring and wrap black thread around it a couple of times then take a needle and thread
all ends through the tip of the pyramid to the inside and attach with a generous amount of
How to make the candle1. Take the letter sized paper and cut in half (matching the shorter sides, long sides will be
cut in half)
2. Take one half and put a tooth pick in one corner and roll
3. When about 2" are left, spread glue all across and finish rolling. Let glue dry
4. Take the wire piece and form a drop (candle flame) with hot glue. This might take multiple layers.
5. Cut a 3/4" piece from your paper roll from step 3 and glue onto the X on the second bottom with hot glue.
6. Use hot glue on top and push wire in center of paper roll, leaving wire a little exposed.
The wire simulates the wick of the candle.
7. Use hot glue to simulate wax running down the candle, you can even "spill" a little at the
8. Paint the candle and the simulated wax white. Paint the flame orange and yellow.
Paint the card board square black up to the white of the simulated spilled wax.
Assemble lantern1. Glue candle with square bottom into lantern bottom
2. Use hot glue gun to glue pyramid top to lantern
You are done !!!
Return to Harry Potter Collection