June 07, 2013

Fold-able beach chair for American Girl Doll


See my other beach item tutorials 

 

What you need

  • 1/2" x 3/4" furring strip 6' long
  • 3/8" round wooden dowel 17" long (1x 9" and 1x 8")
  • fabric 19" x 8 1/4" and matching thread
  • 3/8" velcro 14" long (I took a 7" long 3/4" wide velcro and cut it in half )
  • small nails 
  • 2x  1" binding post (8-32) with screws or 1" long wooden dowel pins
  • drill with 3/8" drill bid and drill bit the size of dowel pin or machine screw

This plan is copyrighted by me. Please use for home use only !!!


How to make the beach chair 

1. Cut the following and sand the raw edges
  • 2x  11 1/4" of the furring strip called Part A
  • 2x  16" of furring strip called Part B
  • 1x   9 1/2" of furring strip called Part C
  • 1x   7 1/2" furring strip called Part D
  • 1x   9" of round dowel called Part E
  • 1x   8" of round dowel called Part F

2. First we will make the the back part. For that you will need both Parts B, Part C and Part E

3. Take Part B and measure 4 1/2" from one end and mark centered on wide side.
    Drill whole the size of your screw or dowel pin all the way through.
    Repeat for other Part B.
    This is where the back and seat part will be connected

4. Take Part B and measure 5/8" from other end and mark on wider side in center.
    This is the center for your recessed hole for the round dowel. Drill halfway in with a 3/8" drill.
    Repeat for other Part B

5. Take Part B and Part E and glue round dowel into hole, add small nail from outside if you want.
    Make sure they are  90° to each other.

6. Take other Part B and glue other end of  Part E (dowel) in hole, and nail if you want to.
    Again make sure they are 90°

7. On Part B, measure 3" up from other end on thinner side and mark, then mark 3 3/4" from end.
    Repeat for other Part B.

8. Lay Part C across markings and glue and nail in place. Making sure everything is plump.
    You are done with the back part.

9. For the seat part you will need both Parts A, Part D and Part F
    (which should be all remaining parts !)

10. Take Part A and measure 4 1/2" from one end and mark centered on wide side.
      Drill whole the size of your screw or dowel pin all the way through.
      Repeat for other Part A.
      This is where the back and seat part will be connected

11. Take Part A and measure 5/8" from same end and mark on wider side in center.
      This is the center for your recessed hole for the round dowel. Drill halfway in with a 3/8" drill.
      Repeat for other Part A

12. Take both Parts A and Part F and glue round dowel into holes, add small nail from outside
      if you want.
      Make sure they are  90° to each other.

13. On Part A, measure 1" up from other end and mark on inside, then measure up 1 1/2" and
      mark.
      Repeat for other Part A.

14. Glue and nail Part D in between Parts A between markings.
      Your seat part is done.

15. Take your seat part and lay it inside the back part and match up the side holes.
      Make sure both round dowel sides face the same direction.
      Insert binding post or glue wooden dowel pin to outside frame (back part) only.
      Seat and back part need to be able to fold apart.

16. Take fabric and hem all around with a 1/4" hem

17. Sew soft side of velco to both short ends of fabric onto hem on wrong side.

18. Sew hard side of velco parallel to soft velcro on wrong side of fabric about 1 1/2" down.

19. Wrap fabric around dowels and engage velcro.


You are done !!!!

Return to see other beach items.

20 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today! Thank you for so many great ideas and outfits. My daughter and I are going to make the beach chair tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found my blog. Good luck with it. If you find any problems, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through Doll Diaries. This chair is amazing! I can't wait to make a few for my daughters. I think a few stuffed animals will love these as much as the dolls will. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very welcome. Have fun !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be me, but I'm finding I have to make one of the dowels bigger than 9 inches to get it to work. Anyone else having any problems?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for pointing out a mistake I made. I updated the blog. One dowel should be only 8" long, not 9" as I had originally stated. The other should stay 9" long. The 9" long should be enough because the inside dimension of the back part is 8 1/2", so the 9" dowel should give you 1/4" on either side. Hope that helps. If you find anything else please don't hesitate to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THE DIRECTIONS CALL FOR 5' OF FURRING STRIP, BUT WHEN I ADDED UP THE PIECES
    THAT NEED TO BE CUT , I AM COMING UP WITH 71 1/2 INCHES WHICH WOULD BE 6'.
    2 X 11 1/4 = 22 1/2
    2 X 16 = 32
    1 X 9 1/2 = 9 1/2
    1 X 7 1/2 = 7 /12
    TOTAL 71 /12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Thank you very much. I updated my blog accordingly

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abbi,
      could you please remove your private info. It is not save to give out phone numbers or email addresses.
      Unfortunately I can't really tell you what went wrong. I would recommend going over the instructions again to see if you did something differently. It might help clicking on the pictures to enlarge them to see more detail.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to be so dumb, but how do I get the pdf file for this chair? I can't get the printer to print the directions off the page. This is so cute and it'll be perfect for the tent and campsite I'm making for all the grandkiddlets for Christmas. I need to begin production of these chairs like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These instructions are not in PDF format, just here on the blog. I use Mozilla's Firefox as WebBrowser and there I can print this blog without problems. Good luck !

      Delete
    2. -Just FYI, if you want to download any single page of the blog, right click on the page and click Save As... and it will save that page.

      Delete
  11. I made 2 of these chairs for my granddaughters. They love them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a problem with drilling 3/8" holes in the 5/8" spot on the furring strip. When I drill, the strip starts to break apart. Would it be feasible for me to use a smaller diameter dowel rod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem. Apparently I was using the wrong type of drill bit, but, in the end, I resorted to starting a pilot hole with a smaller bit, and then I completed the hole with a 3/8" forstner bit. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  13. Can anyone direct me where to find 1/2" by 3/4" furring strips? I asked at the two big home improvement stores and they said it doesn't exist?!? Thanks for any help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine at HomeDepot in the section where you get trims like window and floor trims and quarter round. They are not exactly cheap but really nice looking. Good luck

      Delete