See the other free colonial tutorials
These sewing instructions are super easy and can be done by a beginner sewer.
What you need
- 1/3 yard of lightweight cotton fabric
- 12" long 1/4" wide elastic
- safety pin
- compass (to draw a circle)
- small sewing needle (for hand sewing)
- 1/8" to 1/4" ribbon for a bow (optional)
How to make the Mop Cap1. Fold one end of fabric at least 12" over to create a double layer of fabric, right sides together.
2. Take the compass and draw a circle with a radius of 6" (12" diameter)
3. Pin both layers together and cut along the circle line to create 2 circles
4. Sew with a 1/4" seam all around the circle leaving a gap of about 2"
This gap is needed in order to be able to turn it.
5. Turn right side out and push seams out.
6. Sew a seam 3/4" from the edge all around, start where the opening still is.
Leaving a 1/2" gap
7. Sew another seam 1" from the edge (1/4" from the last seam) and sew it all around leaving NO gap this time.
This forms the casement for the elastic.
8. Take the elastic and add safety pin to one end.
You can add a pin perpendicular to the elastic to the other end to prevent the elastic from being pulled in.
9. Thread safety pin with elastic through the casement.
10. Sew the ends of the elastic together.
Make sure, elastic is not twisted.
12. Take a sewing needle and hand-stitch opening closed with a hidden seam.
13. Optional, you can take some ribbon and sew a small bow to the front on top of the elastic.
You are done !!!
Thank you for this. I love what you are doing. Patterns are so expensive to purchase and this grandmother never learned to sew without one. One hint, although it would take a bit more of your precious time, would be to use a contrasting colored thread or your stitching. This is the second item I have looked at and it has been a bit hard to tell where the stitching is. (retired military spouse)ReplyDelete
Thanks for letting me know. I will see if I can highlight the sewing lines in the pictures from now on. I will see what I can do.Delete
Thank you very much BrilliantReplyDelete
Thank you for the pattern.Ican't believe what they are asking for the cap on Ebay. I will make one.ReplyDelete
Wow!! great Post.ReplyDelete
Thanks for providing this amazing information. I think we can expect better success with these tips.