See my other free travel item tutorials
What you need
- Fabric for outside of backpack (fabric color A)
- Fabric remnant of different color for pocket and flap (fabric color B)
- Fabric for lining backpack (fabric color C)
- String (about 15" long)
- 3/8" ribbon for backpack straps 10" long each (optional, you can also use fabric e.g. color B)
- Small snap or velcro
- Small safety pin
How to make the backpack1. Download free pattern here
Remember to set scaling to none.
For home use only, this is copyrighted by me, Read Creations !!!!
2. Leave Part E folded and top stitch 1/8" from fold
4. Add both backpack sides (Part B) and then other Part A
5. Top stitch 1/8" all 3 seams
6. Sew last seam together to form a loop and top stitch as well (this is a little tricky but possible)
7. Cut straps 10" long from ribbon or use bias tape made from your choice of fabric.
8. Pin straps to bottom back (Part A without pocket) about 1/4" in from side seams on right side
9. Pin and sew bottom to the sides. Make sure you really have the bottom (where the pocket is).
Right sides together, sandwiching the straps
10. Turn right side out
11. Take one Part D and add snap button or velcro
12. Sew flap together (Parts D) right sides together (button/velcro is inside) and clip the rounded corners
13. Turn right side out and top stitch 1/8". Picture shows back side of flap. Button is on the other side.
14. Take Part G and sew into a tube along short sides. Take lining Part C and sew to Part G to form
lining of inside backpack
15. Take Part F and fold both short ends in about 1/2" wrong sides together then fold in half the long side,
wrong sides together and pin to top of the lining finished in step 14.
Pin to the right side of Part G leaving a space of about 1 1/4" centered on the front side
16. Zigzag or sew with less than 1/4" seam in place
17. Take outside Backpack finished in step 10 turn back wrong side out and align straps with open
top about 1/4" from sides (make sure straps are not twisted).
Then add flap, centered on top (on right side of backpack, buckle/velcro on flap facing away from
18. Pin lining to Backpack, right sides together and sew leaving a 1" gap in the front
19. Turn right side out through opening
20. Then stuff lining inside of Backpack.
Take a small safety pin and thread string (about 15" long) through top.
Add button/velcro to backpack
21. Hand sew gap closed with hidden seam.
You are done !!!
Return to collection of Travel items