See the other free colonial tutorials
These skirt instructions are super easy and can be done by a beginner sewer.
What you need
- 1/3 yard of cotton or linen fabric
- 20" cotton twine or yarn
- safety pin
How to make the Skirt
All pictures are from the Colonial Shirt tutorial since the process is the same in the beginning.
To tear, make a small cut with your scissors and then rip the rest of the way.
If you rip the fabric, I recommend ironing afterwards to shrink the rips back into shape.
2. On one of the long sides, make a 1/4" double hem (fold up 1/4" then another 1/4")
This is your bottom hem
3. Zigzag or serge both short ends
4. Fold both short ends in 1/4" to the wrong side.
Then on the other long side, make a 3/8" double hem (fold up 3/8" then another 3/8")
This is your waist hem.
5. Align both short ends, right sides together.
Try to unfold the 1/4" that was folded in earlier as far as possible.
This crease is where you sew your seam (this is going to be your back seam)
Thread safety pin through waist hem and gather fabric.
You are done !!!