See the other free colonial tutorials
These sewing instructions are super easy and can be done by a beginner sewer.
What you need
- 1/3 yard of lightweight cotton fabric
- 12" long 1/4" wide elastic
- safety pin
- compass (to draw a circle)
- small sewing needle (for hand sewing)
- 1/8" to 1/4" ribbon for a bow (optional)
How to make the Mop Cap1. Fold one end of fabric at least 12" over to create a double layer of fabric, right sides together.
2. Take the compass and draw a circle with a radius of 6" (12" diameter)
3. Pin both layers together and cut along the circle line to create 2 circles
4. Sew with a 1/4" seam all around the circle leaving a gap of about 2"
This gap is needed in order to be able to turn it.
5. Turn right side out and push seams out.
6. Sew a seam 3/4" from the edge all around, start where the opening still is.
Leaving a 1/2" gap
7. Sew another seam 1" from the edge (1/4" from the last seam) and sew it all around leaving NO gap this time.
This forms the casement for the elastic.
8. Take the elastic and add safety pin to one end.
You can add a pin perpendicular to the elastic to the other end to prevent the elastic from being pulled in.
9. Thread safety pin with elastic through the casement.
10. Sew the ends of the elastic together.
Make sure, elastic is not twisted.
12. Take a sewing needle and hand-stitch opening closed with a hidden seam.
13. Optional, you can take some ribbon and sew a small bow to the front on top of the elastic.
You are done !!!