February 28, 2014

Scrub top for American Girl Doll

See my other free hospital tutorials

What you need

  • 1/4" cotton fabric
  • 1/4" wide velcro

How to make the top

1. Download pattern here.

    For private use only, this is copyrighted by me, Read Creations !!!
    Make sure you have page scaling set to none !

2. Sew shoulder seams together (1/4" seam as everywhere else as well)

3. Cut 2 strips 1" x 6"
    Fold strip in half lengthwise
    Open and fold on short side in 1/4", then refold. This should give a nice finished end.
    Repeat for other strip

4. Align nice end of strip with back side of shirt (Part C), right sides together.

5. Sew on all the way to the front tip
    This picture is from a later step but it will show you how far to sew and also the cut
    from the next step.

6. Cut a small cut from the V-tip to just short of your seam straight down
    (make sure you don't cut your stitches)

7. Fold inwards
    You can see the cut, we made in the last step

8. Align other strip finished end with the top end (Part B) and sew right sides together
    Stop sewing just before you reach the front cuff

9. Fold inwards and tug cuff behind

10. Top stitch all around

11. Cut off excess cuff fabric and zigzag all rough edges

12. Hem a 1/4" on sleeves

13. Sew sides and cut a small slit in the corner
      (make sure you don't cut your stitches)

14. Hem a 1/2" at the bottom

15. Zigzag narrow back side (Part B) and add rough velcro on right side

16. Fold wide back side (Part C) over 1/2" towards inside (wrong sides together)
      and add soft velcro on inside


You are done !!!

See my other free hospital tutorials

18 comments:

  1. How cute is that!! I've linked to your scrub pattern on Craft Gossip:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-hospital-scrubs-for-an-american-girl-doll/2014/03/03/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the free pattern, I have just started making doll clothes for my 2 granddaughters, lots of fun and especially love the free patterns

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is another great pattern, I sewed 2 scrubs set this week end, not for sick dolls, but for well pets! I used some little print fabric (panda and hedgehog) and it made perfect vet scrubs. We have a large dog collection that always seem attention from the dolls, they are now all set.
    For the second top I made, I cut the band on the bias and the collar stand a little better on the doll.
    thank you for all of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for the tip, I need to try that.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much! I just made the scrubs pants, and top so i can have a nurse in my upcoming stop motion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the neckline instructions to be very confusing-I got it turn out okay but still not sure how! Thanks for the pattern though. Made scrubs for grand daughter's doll and also a pair of jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes it can be confusing if you've never done anything like this before. But the pictures were so helpful in understanding what to do for the neck. Thanks so much for the pattern. My daughter wants to be a doctor some day so I made these for her birthday. She's going to love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm donating an 18" doll to an auction for an animal hospital and these scrubs were exactly what I was looking for. I added pockets to to the front of the shirt. Thank you for making this pattern available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this story. It makes me happy to hear. Good luck with your auction.

      Delete
  8. If I credit you with the pattern design, can I sell this outfit on etsy?
    -Hopeful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for the late reply, I must have missed your question. As long as it is not used in manufacturing but you doing sewing from home, then that is fine as long as you credit me as the pattern designer. Happy Sewing and good luck. Thanks for asking, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. This is exactly what I was looking for. I made the scrub top and it fits perfectly. Excellent instructions and photos to help me follow along. My daughter is going to be so excited on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Needed a pattern for my daughter's birthday present she's getting the vet set. Needed scrubs this was fast amd easy. Ps for quick cheap fabric 2n2nd hand store pillowcases work great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much. I love to make a scrub outfit for the doll off my granssaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for providing this wonderful scrub outfit free. Made this for my granddaughter's male Our Generation doll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where can I find the pants pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go to the main hospital section. You can find it there.

      Delete