Dimensions approx 17" x 20"
What you need
- 2 balls of medium weight (4, needle size US8 / I-9) yarn (each in a different color)
(I used Red Heart Super Saver)
- 1 crochet needle appropriate for the yarn, for me it was I-9
How to crochet the AfghanI found this awesome tutorial on YouTube on how to make the Afghan. The video is always talking about going in 3s (3 stitches at the bottom, 3 stitches in the middle and 3 stitches on top). This is too big for the American Girl doll and therefor I went with 2s (2 stitches on top, 2 in the middle and 2 on the bottom) and that gave me the perfect size.
Go and watch the video first, then we will go into detail on how to adjust it for your doll.
One set (going from the top down and then back up) will involve 12 stitches (6 up and 6 down), since in the top we will have 2 stitches in one hole (on each side) which means your starting chain will have sets of 10 (in the video he was talking of sets of 14).
You should make a sample with 3 sets (starting chain of 3x10 + 2 = 32) which created 8 1/2" for my medium weight yarn
This is what one set looks like (steps 8 - 13):
1. Which meant I started my Afghan with a starting chain of 62 (6x10 + 2)
2. Go in the 3rd loop (as explained in the video) and do your double crochet, with that you have your two stitches on the top.
3. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches
4. Crochet the 2 single crochet stitches and the pull through (as explained in the video) - your first valley is done
5. Crochet the 2 single crochet stitches and the pull through
6. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches
7. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches in the same hole - Now your first set is done
8. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches in the same hole
9. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches
10. Crochet the 2 single crochet stitches and the pull through
11. Crochet the 2 single crochet stitches and the pull through
12. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches
13. Crochet 2 double crochet stitches in the same hole - Now your next set is done
14. Repeat Steps 8-13 four more times and you should be at the end
15. Chain 3 then turn work over and repeat step 2-15
I changed color every 2 rows but this is up to you
I had 19 stripes (double rows) to get 20"
- start with a starting chain of 62
- go in 2s
- change color every other row to form a strip
- crochet 19 strips